10.22.2008

THE POWER OF A HUG


I finally got an unsolicited hug last night from someone that I seriously thought I would never get one from again, and it was beautiful. Those of you who know me, know where this hug came from, but I am not going to go into the private details about it, but rather I want to share with you some interesting facts and a story that I found on the internet about "The Power of a Hug".

A Hug is one of the most basic ways two human beings touch. There is power in a hug. A hug can break down barriers that sometimes words cannot do. At times, it can speak more than any words can say. We bond with a hug. We find comfort with a hug. We greet and separate from each other with a hug. We establish human contact and interaction with a hug. The beauty of a hug is in its simplicity. The gesture towards another human being, known or unknown, is easy. It costs nothing but a simple act of caring and kindness.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the definition of a hug is : "to clasp or hold closely, especially in the arms, as in affection; embrace. To hold steadfastly, to cherish . To stay close to.

Human beings thrive on touch and often languish without it. We are social creatures. The simple act of hugging can lift a person and make them feel connected to someone else. When you embrace another human being, for those few moments, you have to let go of everything and focus on that hug.

-"You can't wrap love in a box, but you can wrap a person in a hug." unknown author


This is a picture from an article called
"The Rescue Hug". The article details
the first week of a set of twins.
Apparently, each were in their respective
incubators, and one was not expected
to live. A hospital nurse fought against
the hospital rules and placed the babies
in one incubator.

When they were placed together,
the healthier of the twins reached
out an arm over the sister in an endearing
embrace. The smaller baby's heart
stabilized and her temperature rose
to normal.

You can probably guess that I am floating on air!! I sincerely am not making light of the above story when I say that my heart stabilized when I received my hug. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day.

4 comments:

Janae' said...

Celine Dion probably compares hugs to "thumbing". hahahahaha I crack myself up.

I soooo happy about your hug. It hs been a long time coming.

XOXO
Skitzanae'

Kelli said...

I am so happy for you!! life is wonderful right now isn't it. It is so great having our handsome RM's home! I love the picture of the "rescue hug", we use cobedding in our NICU and I have seen this happen many times. The human touch really is so powerful! love your blog...thanks for sharing

email and phone numbers said...

I always love to go to your blog...you find the cutest backgrounds & fill-ins & pics! Anyway, yeah on the hug! You probably deserved it!

Tanner and Andrea said...

I was so overwhelmed when reading about "the twins". When Maddex was in the NICU we saw so many sets of twins and it broke my heart that they had to be separated.- It brought tears to my eyes reading this story- and I truely believe that a hug can make a difference in life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

thanks for {visiting}